So you really want to see the world? You should probably learn to scuba dive. Since about 71% of the world’s surface is water-covered, why limit yourself to only 29%? Scuba diving opens up a ton of new opportunities for adventure, so next time you travel to a water-based destination, explore the country as you’ve never explored it before – under the water!
Here are a few reasons you should learn to dive:
1. The sights you’ll see. Once you head underwater, the opportunities are endless. Beautiful coral reefs, historical shipwrecks and amazing sea life – you’ll be able to see it all. No pictures will ever do justice to the experience of your first dive. You’ve got to see it for yourself.
2. You’ll acquire valuable skills. Of course, you’ll learn how to properly use scuba gear, the correct breathing techniques, and the meaning of specific hand signals. But you’ll also learn several valuable life skills, such as:
- Discipline. You’ll learn to follow very specific procedures, perform essential safety checks, and remember rules that your divemaster sets. You’ll also carefully control your breathing and regulate your BCD to avoid problems under the water.
- Remaining calm in difficult situations. You may get water in your mask, run low on air, or feel your weight belt falling off. Things will sometimes go wrong, but you’ll learn how to stay calm instead of panicking and think quickly to figure out a solution.
- Communication. Without being able to speak underwater, you’ll learn how to express yourself with universal hand signals to communicate with both your instructor or divemaster and other divers.
3. The opportunity to travel more. The world is home to some amazing diving sites, and once you’ve learned to scuba dive, you can go wherever you fancy. Don’t just stick to 29% of the world… go explore the other 71% too! Some of the best spots I’ve traveled to include Australia, Thailand, Hawaii, Indonesia, and my personal favorite… Egypt. Check out The Secret Traveller’s list for more inspiration.
4. The friends you’ll meet. You’ll likely share a lot in common with the people you meet diving. In my experience, divers are generally fun, adventurous people and have some amazing stories from around the world. You’ll probably be in some beautiful place in the world where everyone is in a great mood and easy to make friends with. And if you’re a solo traveler, diving is an especially good way to meet others in the same boat – literally.
5. Universal qualifications. It’s not just about all the fun you’ll have. It’s also nice to know that once you become a PADI certified open-water diver, you can use that certification all around the globe. If you want to take it one step further, you can even become a certified divemaster so you can lead dives, or an instructor so you can actually teach! And again, those certifications are valid worldwide.
6. It’s relaxing. There’s nothing more therapeutic than floating weightlessly through crystal clear waters surrounded by colorful schools of fish. No emails or phone calls… just the sound of your breath going in and out. People do yoga because focusing on breathing is a stress reliever… well scuba diving is no different.
7. Bragging rights. Have your friends seen the Great Barrier Reef? What about the Blue Hole in Belize? Or the sunken Thistlegorm ship in Egypt? Probably not. By learning to scuba dive, you’ll always have something to be proud of. You’re a “certified diver” and that’s pretty darn cool.
Have you learned to dive? Feel free to share your experience!
As always, keep on livin’ pura vida! ✌